Friday 20 November 2015

What I hope to get out of studying media production?

What I hope to get out of studying media production?


Media production is the full-time work which has gone into making different communication, entertainment or information produces both within hardware and software materials. These could be the production of different items such as adverts, films, short documentaries, internet formats and videos. The media production has a set strategy which will allow them to achieve their goal: before even they start filming a pitch is created -which is helped supervised by a potential production company e.g. Warner Brothers; by doing questionnaires and asking their target audience about the film they then create any changes however some companies like to carry out market research before pitching as they know their exact audience and range.

Within media production my particular interest lies in the field of editing films, this admiration had begun from a young age. I  enjoyed watching all genres of films and being a dancer from a young I have had some experience behind scene to put on a staging performance; this interest had later lend me onto taking a Media GCSE course with the OCR Exam Board. From my knowledge I know there are several stages within the editing roles when creating a clip or film. The editing stages start by assembling all the shots; then a rough cut is made, which removes any unwanted scenes, after a fine cut which assembles each individual edited scene the final cut is produced. The clip below is from the film 'The Ring' editing is used within this scene to create a scary era. The girl climbs out of the TV which shouldn't happen naturalistically therefore they have used editing techniques to make her look as if she is coming out of the TV. A suggestive way this could have been done is using a video in the original long shot of the TV however the girl then climbs out of the TV when a side angle is used therefore it could be a built TV which she is climbing out of however due to the editing techniques of flash cutting it looks as if she has just climbed out of the video, also a green screen could be used to look as if she is in the TV. The video within the clip has the spooky effect as it flickers increasing the tension.


Whilst taking this course I would like to improve my knowledge within the editing process and experiment with different techniques to create my own 2 minute long opening of a film. Working with others will allow me to take in knowledge which they already know to improve my own work and vice versa.

Though being very organised-which will help whilst scheduling the work- I am very persisted when creating and editing any source of work therefore my time keeping will have to be very strict to keep on target as my perfectionism will take up a lot of time. From this course I want to have the basic knowledge within editing films which I can potentially take on with me into future education or even possibly a career. On the other hand the overall outcome I want from this course is a grade which I would be happy with alongside a new insight into the editing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment